Drewyers River Heritage Marker

 
Date Visited:  Saturday, September 11, 2010
Physical Location:   On Hwy 261 in the former Lyons Ferry State Park (now privately owned)
County:   Franklin
Visited With:   Luiz
Marker Text:   The Palouse River was first name Drewyers River by Lewis and Clark in honor of George Drouillard a civilian member of the expedition which arrived in this area on Oct. 13, 1805. Throughout the Lewis and Clark journals "Drewyers", as his name was spelled by Lewis, was praised for his valuable services as a tracker, hunter, scout and interpreter.

He became a boon companion to Lewis an was considered one of two two or three most valuable men on the expedition. Drouillard's French Canadian and Indian ancestors had rendered similar services to the French in the settlement of French Canada. Two years later Drouillard returned to the west with fur traders and, in 1810 lost his life in a fight with Indians at Three Forks, Montana.